Monday, March 30, 2009

Going My Way?


I have written about the new building we're about to move in -- called the Sustainment Center of Excellence (SCOE Building). The building is right across the street from my current office and the schedule has started whereby some tenants have already started the occupant process. Our turn is in 5 weeks.


Last week a co-worker and I went to the SCOE for a meeting. As we approached the front of the building there were three Fort Lee police cars out front. Not a good sign, but nonetheless we walked in, and went directly to the elevator to make our way to the 4th floor. As we approached the elevator door, there was a young Sergeant Military Police (MP) standing a few feet away from the elevator door....staring at the elevator. We pushed the button and when the elevator door opened, we entered and he just stood there. Dave asked if he was going up and he calmly replied, "no, I just got a distress call from this car."......and the doors closed. We heard a clanking (rather loud!) noise. I told Dave -- "hang on!" We made it to the 4th floor for the meeting and opted to use the stairs upon our exit of the building.


Flash forward 3 days.....The safety director stopped by my office, just to say hello on Friday morning. I asked how his week had been and he started to tell me how one of the elevators in the SCOE building had dropped. Imagine my thoughts! I asked him if it were about 9:15 on Tuesday morning. He quickly asked, "where you the poor lady on the car when it dropped?" I had to disappoint him, but assured him it wasn't me, but did share the story about the non-chelant MP that frankly didn't care who entered the lame car about 9:00 a.m.! Thankfully, the lady didn't get hurt as the car only dropped one floor.


I think I'll stick to the stairs for a rather long time!


Til later ~~ Mom/Candy/Chief

1 comment:

Laura R. said...

Wow- that is SCARY. Stupid little MP.