Sunday, January 4, 2009

Promotion!

Wow is about all I can say after the whirlwind month it has been! I finished my Warrant Officer Senior Staff Course at Fort Rucker, Alabama on the 19th of December, completing all the requirements to be promoted to Chief Warrant Officer Five! I was at home in San Antonio for four whole days (sorting and packing) before Ed and I left (in two cars!) bound for Fayetteville, AR. We spent Christmas with the Arkansas kids and then we left at noon on Christmas day (in three cars!) to travel to Sioux Falls. Somewhere in Missouri we found a Waffle House open and enjoyed Christmas Dinner! Hallelujah for Christmas Road Trips!!

My promotion ceremony was surrounded by friends and family (young and old, literally and figuratively!) BG Charles Barr, my deployment Commander, traveled to help Ed do the honors.


It was a ceremony complete with childhood friends, high school friends, some of my first battle buddies, close family, extended family, ..... Since I was between units, I thought it would be fun to celebrate something fun in the very same building where I enlisted nearly 34 years ago. It was a good day and great to share it with those who mean so very much to me. Thanks to all who came.


Although "NO GIFTS" was the request, my six-month old Grandson was not able to read the memo! So, he gave me a miniature sterling silver dog tag that now says "CHIEF GRANDMA, CW5" I wear it proudly, and am glad the little guy can't read yet! Thanks, Colt!


Here's those who mean a great deal me! Laura was on speaker phone, so she too was part of the ceremony! Erika read the order. Becky was in charge of the picture slide show/music. Sarah was camera operator. Ed and BG Barr did the pinning. Colt was in charge of being cute and Jeff managed Colt. As always, Tom was with us in spirit. It was everything and more than I hoped it would be.
Everyone is back home in their respective "spots". I am at Fort Lee, getting ready to start my new job in the morning! Ed is back home with Chip, wandering the house, looking for that next project. It was a good month and great to see everyone. Thanks to all who made the special day even more special with your presence, your emails, your phone calls, etc.


Til later ~~ CW5 Martin (oops, I mean ~~ Chief Grandma)

2 comments:

Laura R. said...

Go Mom!! :)

~Laura

Anonymous said...

Hooah!